REPORT | Workington 26-30 Dons

REPORT | Workington 26-30 Dons

4th June 2017

Workington Town 26–30 Doncaster RLFC

Sunday 4th June 2017

Derwent Park

Kingstone Press League One

Attendance | 522

The Dons made it three wins out of three under interim coaches Pete Green and Rhys Lovegrove after a hard fought 30-26 victory over Workington Town.

They got off to the perfect start inside five minutes when Jordan Howden got the break of the ball from his own kick through and raced over close to the sticks. Jack Miller added the two for 0-6.

Workington responded straight away though and had their first try just three minutes later, Conor Fitzsimmons managed to ground the ball after a grubber kick through. Carl Forber’s successful conversion levelled the scores at 6-6.

The Dons sensed an opportunity from high kicks into the Workington half and the ball came up for them again as a knock on was picked up by Richie Barnett and the winger played in Miller to restore the lead.

The home side pegged the Dons back once again when after a number of penalties were conceded, a flowing move led to Phil Lister diving over in the corner with his first touch of the ball since coming off the interchange bench.

In an end-to-end encounter, the Dons were the next to cross and Miller was again the man to profit. Howden’s kick through was pounced upon by the scrum-half and he managed to score the try under considerable pressure. Miller converted his own try for 10-18.

The Dons looked to be going into half time in complete control before Workington grabbed their third try just four points before the interval. Back to back penalties for the home side led to Jason Mossop touching down in the left corner.

HALF TIME | Workington Town 14–18 Doncaster RLFC

Workington had the lead for the first time in the game less than 10 minutes after half time, a repeat set on the Dons line led to former Super League forward Phil Joseph powering over. Forber’s conversion made the score 20-18.

The second half turned out to be a far less open one when compared to the first, and the Dons had to wait until close to the hour mark before going back in front. After heavy pressure, Kyle Kesik managed to spin and touch the ball down to regain the lead. Miller added the two leaving the score at 20-24 with just over 20 minutes to play.

Workington were back in front with just over 10 minutes remaining, Jamie Doran was too quick for the Dons defence and he went over in the far corner. Forber added the two for 26-24.

The game looked to be slipping away from the Dons before Russ Spiers found space close to the line and crashed over with just a minute left on the clock. Miller kicked the two to seal the win.

FULL TIME | Workington Town 26–30 Doncaster RLFC

DONS | Sheriff, Doherty, Welham, Tali, Barnett, Miller, Howden, Spiers, Kesik, Braham, Martin, England, Green. Interchange: Aizue, Muranka, Hedges, Wright.

DONS TRIES | Howden (5), Miller (11 & 23), Kesik (58), Spiers (79). DONS GOALS | Miller (6, 12, 24, 59, 80)

WORKINGTON | Rooke, Mewse, Singleton, Mossop, Patrick, Forber, Doran, Scholey, Howarth, Szostak, B. Phillips, Joseph, Shelford. Interchange: C. Phillips, Fitzsimmons, Maudling, Lister.

WORKINGTON TRIES | Fitzsimmons (8), Lister (16), Mossop (36), Joseph (49), Doran (69). WORKINGTON GOALS | Forber (9, 50, 70)

REPORT | Workington 26-30 Dons