REPORT | Workington Town 22-21 Doncaster RLFC

REPORT | Workington Town 22-21 Doncaster RLFC

20th August 2017

Workington Town 22

Doncaster RLFC 21


Derwent Park

Attendance: 441


The Dons fell to an agonising defeat in Cumbria prolonging the wait to confirm their place in the Kingstone Press League One Super 8s play-offs.

The Dons got off to a flying start through Iafeta Paleaaesina, the powerful forward bulldozed his way over under the sticks after just four minutes with Miller duly converting the extras.

Workington were inches from their first score of the afternoon but full-back Theerapol Ritson fell short of the line. Tom Carr gathered the grubber kick on the next tackle allowing the Dons to build an attack.

They were halted on the 25-metre line via a high tackle and decided to go for goal. Jack Miller comfortably added the two points to increase the lead to 8-0.

The Dons built further pressure and had a wonderful chance to score in the 23rd minute when Jordie Hedges sent Louis Sheriff racing home through a gap only for the pass to be called forward.

Arguably the game’s turning point came just three minutes later when Sheriff was sin-binned for a high tackle on Ritson. Workington sensed their opportunity and took it.

Gabriel Fell scored Town’s first try of the afternoon after just one minute of having a numerical advantage. A fine kick from Carl Forber was eventually gathered by the winger who touched down in the corner.

Fell grabbed his second just after the hour mark gathering a stunning looping pass from Jamie Doran to touchdown out wide. Forber converted to put Workington in front for the first time in the match.

Just one minute before the break, Sheriff was due to return to the field some nice hands from Town allowed Macauley Davies the space to crash over and extend their lead.

As the hooter sounded Miller notched a drop-goal to bring the Dons within five points.

HALF-TIME | Workington 14 Doncaster 9

Hopes of a comeback were dented just two minutes in to the second half when Workington were awarded a penalty for an illegal strip of the ball. Forber converted from 40m meaning the Dons now had to score twice to lead.

Five minutes later and the Dons were back in with a shout. Charlie Martin powered his way towards the line, almost losing possession in the process, but on the next play Jason Tali burrowed his way over from close range. Miller’s conversion brought the Dons to within one point.

Workington didn’t want to let go of their lead easily and regained their two-score lead in the 53rd minute through Conor Fitzsimmons. Forber adding the extras.

A sustained period of pressure from Workington ensued. Firstly, Doran had a try disallowed for crossing before Town turned down the opportunity to go for goal from a penalty much to the dismay of their coaching staff.

Doran came close again two minutes from time, but the Dons weren’t done yet.

Keiran Cross produced a moment of magic, chipping the ball over the top of the defence and gathering a fortuitous bounce to incite a nail-biting finish.

Unfortunately, it proved to be too late and the Dons fell to a narrow defeat.


FULL-TIME | Workington 22 Doncaster 21


Workington Starting XIII: Ritson, Hambley, Rasool, Mossop, Fell, Forber, Doran, Curwen, Howarth, Scholey, B.Phillips, Davies and Singleton.

Workington Interchange: C.Phillips, Coward, Fitzsimmons and Maudling

Dons Starting XIII: Carr, Sheriff, Rawsthorne, Tali, Doherty, Cross, Miller, Spiers, Wright, Paleaaesina, Muranka, Martin and Green.

Dons Interchange: Castle, Hedges, Kelly and Thackray.

REPORT | Workington Town 22-21 Doncaster RLFC