Keighley Cougars 26 Dons 18

Keighley Cougars 26 Dons 18

19th April 2019

Doncaster RLFC left West Yorkshire on the end of a strong second half performance from Keighley Cougars, losing 26-18 after going in to the half-time break two points ahead.

Head coach Richard Horne brought Liam Harris in to the fold for his first match of the season after returning from injury, Brandon Douglas was also drafted back in to the 13 after missing the Challenge Cup victory over Batley Bulldogs.

It took the Dons just one minute to open up the scoring, Menzie Yere powering over after great work from Brad Foster down the left flank.

Three minutes later the home side roared in to life after a 30 yard break from former Dons man Jack Miller, he found a pass to Hallett on the right who powered over under the posts. Hardcastle converted.

The Dons soon responded after great work from Harris and Chrimes, the ball was quickly worked out to the right side and Tali placed the ball down with ease. Harris put the kick over the posts to give the Dons a two point lead.

Once again the Cougars responded straight away through Ben Hardcastle, he threw Kieran Buchanan the dumbie on the  line and powered over, putting his side back in the lead at 12-10.

Just two minutes later the Dons fired back in front after great work from Doherty, who ran 20 yards, found a pass to Tali who then fired over in the corner, putting the Dons back in front by two points.

10 minutes later the Dons once again found a way through the Cougars defence, with Elliot Townsend going over the line after great work from Liam Harris, giving Horne’s side a 6 point lead.

The Dons held their own until the break, and headed in to the half-time break with a six point lead, 12-18.

Just after the half time break Keighley fought back with a 70 metre run from Taylor Prell, fighting off the challenge from Tali and Buchanan. Hardcastle then levelled the scores with a conversion.

The Cougars then extended their lead after holding the Dons on their own try line through Dan Parker, after breaking through and firing over. Hardcastle converted to put the home side six points ahead.

The penalty count continued to rise in the favour of the Dons, however Horne’s side couldn’t capitalise on them. 

With 15 minutes remaining Liam Harris was forced to leave the field following a head injury, and he would be replaced by Callum Ogden.

With eight minutes remaining on the clock the game became scrappy between both sides, with the ball struggling to stay in hand.

Then the Dons conceded a penalty and Hardcastle scored the two points, kicking over from 20 metres out to give the home side a 26-18 lead.

That would be the final action of the second half, after a strong final 40 minute performance from Keighley, leaving the Dons to travel home pointless.


Keighley Cougars 26 Dons 18