REPORT | Dons 12 Whitehaven 22

REPORT | Dons 12 Whitehaven 22

14th July 2019

A debut try from Rangi Chase wasn’t enough to earn victory as the Dons were beaten 22-12 by league leaders Whitehaven at the LD Nutrition Stadium.

Chase came into the starting XIII along with Connor Wynne, Matty Beharrell and Danny Washbrook.

It was the Dons who started the brighter of the two sides and almost went in front when Matty Chrimes broke down the left, before supplying the pass for Matty Beharrell to go over - only for play to be brought back for a forward pass in the build-up. 

They didn’t have to wait too long before the next opportunity presented itself, as Beharrell placed a kick into the air for Sam Doherty to rise above Andrew Bulman and open the scoring.

The home side continued to press and Chrimes came close to extending the lead, but the ball through from Beharrell just had too much on it and evaded the winger.

Whitehaven’s first points of the afternoon came from the boot of Connor Holliday, who converted a penalty goal from 20 metres out to reduce the deficit to just four points with 12 minutes on the clock.

Chase was causing problems all afternoon and he had a debut try when his half-back partner Beharrell found him close to the line, and he had the presence of mind to spin away from the Haven defenders and score. 

That seemed to spark Gary Charlton’s side into life and they got themselves back in the game six minutes before half-time, as Carl Forster used his size to get the ball down under considerable pressure. 

Whitehaven got on the front foot inside the opening minute of the second-half, Forster was again the man to profit as his try followed by Holliday’s conversion put the visitors in front for the first time in the game.

The Dons twice came close to an immediate response, as Jason Tali was held-up by some strong Haven defence, before Matty Chrimes looked to be in at the corner but for another call of a forward pass going against the home side.

In a game that continued to swing one way and then the other, Andrew Bulman broke down the left after spotting a gap, only to be thwarted by the covering Wynne who forced an error in the process.

As Whitehaven continued to press forward in search of another try, they extended their lead via another converted penalty from Holliday with a quarter of the game remaining.

Bulman would get his name on the scoresheet soon enough and it came at a crucial time with less than 10 minutes left on the clock. The winger raced away to go over in the corner and virtually seal the win.

The game ended with both teams down to 12 men, as Jordan Burns was sent-off for an off the ball incident which also saw Beharrell sin-binned for dissent.

REPORT | Dons 12 Whitehaven 22